Friday, September 10, 2010

Why I Practice Bodywork & Yoga

First and foremost: The use and practice of bodywork, including yoga, brings Meaning and Purpose to my life and to my experience of life. (Fight for it!)

Bodywork can help to heal the body, the mind and the spirit.

Bodywork helps to cultivate peace within and by default with others.

Bodywork creates a healthy body. A healthy body contributes to a healthy mind.

Yoga and bodywork help me be a more productive, tolerant and caring individual in the world, in my community and with my own loved ones.

Yoga is rooted in gratitude.

Yoga opens the door to insight and awareness. Don’t take my word for it. You gotta live it to believe it.

Yoga challenges. Challenge can be a source of growth.

A serious yoga practice requires commitment. Let's refer to Goethe:
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
Yoga teaches self-love. Self-love is the foundation for all love.

Yoga lets me go at my own pace, is not a competition and is non-judgmental. (Maybe I should move this further up the list.)

Yoga teaches breathwork. There is a fine line between many emotions and the crossing of that line can be mediated by taking a deep breath.

Yoga empowers. You can do a push-up. Or a headstand. Believe it. Empowerment is vital for our individual and collective well-being.

Yoga teaches the art of letting go by focusing on the only thing we certainly have: the present.

Yoga teaches forgiveness.

It never fails that if I take a yoga class, I feel like I have accomplished something.

Yoga teaches you to try to be calm under stress or turmoil, take a deep breath, and accept the flow.

Yoga helps me have faith and reinforces my faith.

Yoga nurtures compassion (for others, for individuality, for oneself and for humanity.)

I can turn to yoga for community and for solitude.

Yoga kicks my butt.

Yoga feeds the warrior within each of us.

Yoga helps me focus.

Yoga makes me feel good.

Yoga makes me happy.

Last but foremost: Yoga heals.

1 comment:

  1. Yoga is a practice that you have suggested to others that has opened doors.... yoga is a gift :)

    ReplyDelete